Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My Thoughts on Traveling

I've never really gotten to see much of the world. Of the 50 states, I've been to the New England ones, New York, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Florida, and Minnesota. With the exception of Minnesota, New York and New England, the rest have been for wrestling tournaments. The only time I ever went to Florida was for one. Didn't even get to hit the beach or experience Disney. I've been to three other countries: a resort on the Cayman Islands when I was 6, Mexico for 1 day on a cruise, and Canada on a few different occasions. And let's be real, we can hardly call Canada another country....

One thing Emily and I really want to do as we enter adulthood is see more of the world together. We are in the process of planning a two week long Europe excursion. Neither of us have ever been to Europe, so it's going to be awesome. My sister and dad were giving me grief the other day because I spend my money rather recklessly. When it comes to stuff like this Euro-trip, I look forward to blowing my life's savings.

Our most recent discussions had our destinations being Barcelona, Dublin, Paris, and Venice. We each chose two of those cities, and I think, if money wasn't an issue for us, we would have gone to 8 or 10, not just 4. Thinking about seeing other countries and learning about other cultures is something I cannot wait for. Here is a list of some of the places in the world that I would like to see (or things that I want to do in various places):

- The Great Wall of China: The magnitude of this wall is incredible. I want to not just see the wall, but seeing the view from standing on top of it. The fact that it has been around for so long shows the skill and dedication of the people who built it.

- Hagia Sophia: One of the most incredible architectural cathedrals every built. I do not know many sites in Turkey, but this would be incredible. I think great Cathedrals such as this one and Notre Dame are two that I would certainly love to experience.

- The Amazon Rain Forest/River: I'm not a real nature-friendly guy and I'm terrified of bugs. But I would love to at least see it in person, even if that doesn't mean I venture too far in.

- The Great Pyramids: For all I know, one of my ancestors could have helped build them. They are some of the most magnificent man made structures ever and I would love to see them.

- Niagra Falls: For something as close as these incredible water falls, I can't believe I've never seen them up close.

- The Golden Gate Bridge

- The Alps: I don't ski, but I would still love to take the lift up to one of these incredible mountain tops.

- Vatican City

- The Eiffel Tower/The Louvre/L'Arc de Triomphe/Notre Dame: Hopefully I can bang all of these out when Emily and I go on our trip. Paris is an incredible city, I'd like to see it first hand.

- Australia: Let's be real, this list would not be complete without me seeing a kangaroo.

- Swim in all five great lakes (there's 5 of them, right?): I've been to Ontario, so I just need to take care of HMES

- Storm the Beach at Normandy (and by storm, I mean take a nap on)

- Disney World: Please? Can I please finally go on the roller coasters?

I realize that this is a bit of stretch. First off, I'd better find one hell of a career if I'm going to pay for all this. Second, when I have kids, they'd better be able to sit through a plane ride. Without goals or dreams, life can be pretty boring. One of my dreams is to see the world with the woman I love (and our little minion children too). Hopefully things play out the way I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment