Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Thoughts on FroYo vs Ice Cream

In the last two years, frozen yogurt has taken America by storm.While there does not seem to be a completely dominant chain popping up, you can find FroYo outlets everywhere. It's pretty cool what FroYo has done: it has provided an alternative to ice cream that has truly convinced the public that they are being healthier. I, for one, recognize that it is just as unhealthy, well for me at least. The problem is, for the most part, it's self serve and pay by the ounce. So I usually end up with about a pound split between refreshing yogurt and delicious toppings. I know, it's disgusting.

But now whenever my sisters and I decide to venture out and get some dairy-goodness, we face the daunting questions: Ice cream or FroYo? Old faithful or new wave? The veteran or the rookie? It is a difficult predicament we all find ourselves in (probably more often than we care to admit), so I am here to answer it for you.

First, let's way the pros and cons of ice cream. Ice cream is rich and creamy. The thickness is something that is unparalleled. Not only is each lick of an ice cream cone a satisfying experience, but it's so relaxing to scoop your self a bowl while your sitting around watching TV. It's quite peaceful. However, I've never been to an ice cream parlor that is self serve (besides those awesome soft serve machines that you see at buffets). It's also a colossal pain in the ass to pay extra for every topping I want. I love loading up as many toppings as I can to experience as many flavors as I can. Peanut M&Ms, Butterfingers, mango, kit kats, rainbow sprinkles, whipped cream, etc. If I paid $0.75 for every topping I put on at FroYo, my ice cream would cost a lot more than the $4.50 I usually pay.

Frozen yogurt, has it's ups and downs as well. As I have alluded to, I love spending 5 bucks and basically piling on as much yogurt/candy/fruit as I possibly can fit into one of those measly containers they give you. Yes, I realize I should probably behave like a 21 year old when getting sugary goodness, but why would I do that? Frozen Yogurt is also more refreshing. I had this mango flavor recently that was without a doubt one of the most enlightening experiences of my life. However, while FroYo does taste good, the variety of flavors does not compare to that of ice cream. There are so many more flavors of ice cream that I can experience, and sometimes, yogurt just can't cut it.

All this being said, I personally prefer yogurt. Although there are plenty of times where I am in the mood for ice cream, overall the pay-by-weight and self serve nature of FroYo wins me over. Also, I'm fully expecting this post to generate more controversy than any of my other blogs. Let the debates begin!

2 comments:

  1. Very valid points. I think I prefer Froyo as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's pretty cool what FroYo has done: it has provided an alternative to ice cream that has truly convinced the public that they are being healthier." - I agree! FroYo is healthier than ice cream, however, go easy on the toppings. Many fro-yos are offered with many sugar and fat-laden additions, so you have to be careful with every serving. :)

    FreshAndHealthyBrands.com

    ReplyDelete