Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My Thoughts on Growing Up with Three Sisters

This is probably going to be a little more sentimental than most people care to read about, but one thing that I've liked about writing a blog is that it kind of gives me an opportunity to discuss emotions without actually having to articulate how I'm feeling. I'm not really good about that, but it certainly is good to try. Now that I have been completely stripped of my masculinity, I can continue.

If you claim to have a sister that is cooler than one of mine, then you are either lying, stupid, or insane. Hannah, Rebecca, and Olivia have been three of the most amazing friends that I have ever known. At this point in our lives, the times that all four of us spend together are few and far between, but I think it's important. I would do anything for one of my sisters, and I know they would do the same for me. I truly believe that the four of us are closer than nearly any other complete sibling set. I just want to take a minute to talk about each one individually.

Hannah is one of the most genuinely nice people I have ever met. She will bend over backwards to do a favor for someone, and she doesn't ask for or receive even a portion of the recognition that she deserves. She is a caring, compassionate person who puts everyone else's interests ahead of her own. It is certainly something that I wish I could duplicate, but even with my best efforts, I am not half as kind as she is.

Rebecca is quite possibly the most driven athlete I have ever met. I'm a decent athlete, but I have never compared to what she can do physically (although she never has, and never will beat me in a foot race of less than 50 ft). Every morning, she is up doing sprints in preparation for soccer season. She did not start playing soccer until she was 13 or so, most people start when they're 5. Yet, she was one of the best freshman women's soccer players in the entire NESCAC this year. She's also barely even 5 feet tall, just imagine if she was a normal height! I'm a firm believer that that is the only thing that held her back from competing at any level she were to choose.

Olivia is arguably the funniest person I have ever met. Between her cutting arrogance, quick wit, and loud mouth, she makes me laugh hardier than anybody else I know. Granted, when the jokes are targeted at me, there's not much that I can do, but laugh at myself. If any of you have never gotten to know Olivia on that level, you should. However, I should warn you, her jokes are far more sophisticated than a 16 year old should be making, and often require some basic intellectual competency.

We're siblings, of course we don't always get along. I remember once I shot Olivia in the eye with a nerf gun (classic). We have been in so many arguments that I know exactly what buttons to push to aggravate all three of them. But the nicest thing about that is that at the end of the day (or week, if it's a particularly significant fight) we make up and start directing our anger towards a more useful practice: cutting each other down with jokes and insults.

I love my sisters. I don't say it often enough, but I do. I know that they know it, but sometimes it's not such a bad thing to remind them.

If you have any siblings, please tell them the same thing. This will hopefully be my last summer living at home, and so I just want them to know that for me, wherever the three of them are will be home for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment