Thursday, July 18, 2013

My Thoughts on Entertainment in America

Did any of you see the ESPYs last night? The fact that Dake didn't win college make athlete of the year is ridiculous. I was thinking about some of the athletes who were present last night; some great names who will go on to do (or have already done) great things. One thing that bothers me when watching event like this is how glorified these athletes are in the eyes of America.

Take my boy LeBron. He makes more money than I could ever dream of making. He has a beautiful mansion, drives incredible cars and most importantly, he makes his living doing something he loves. Am I envious? Of course. If I was offered millions of dollars a year to compete in a sport I love, I'd take that offer in a heart beat. Do I think it's fair? No.

What do athletes do that make them so deserving of this? How come they make millions of dollars but we can't raise enough money for teachers to get 6 figures. I've certainly had some teachers who deserve to make this kind of money. I don't think it's that the money isn't there, it's that we delegate it to the wrong places. People don't want to pay higher taxes, but they'll pay hundreds of dollars for football tickets.

It's not just the money either. Take Aaron Hernandez (ever heard of him). A pro bowl TE for my beloved pats and he threw it all away to (allegedly) kill a man. I don't know what this dude did, but I doubt it was deserving of death. Now do we just throw this under the rug and unanimously say, "I hope the scumbag serves life"? Not even close. There were people protesting his arrest when he was brought to court. The Pouncey brothers, two pro bowl NFL players were recently seen wearing "free Hernandez" hats. What kind of example are they setting? Not only that murder is forgivable, but that it's almost encouraged? I just think we, as citizen of the US, take these athletes and place them on a pedestal.

And it's not just athletes. What about actors? Or musicians? When the Biebs peed in that mop pocket, everyone was in uproar. Why didn't they just arrest him, or kick him out like they would if it was any Joe Schmo doing the same thing? Why does everyone care so much about what drugs Lindsay Lohan is into (bad example, I'm over it)?

Next time you're reading a tabloid, or a newspaper, just think about how you're taking more of an interest in these celebrities lives than someone else's who is more deserving. How many of you (non-mass residents) had heard of the Hoyts before last night. That's the type of story that deserves attention. Will they ever make a million dollars for doing what they do? My guess is no. But they deserve more attention than a lot of other entertainers out there.

PS: I'm updating this to make it clear, that I'm no different. I put all of these people on a pedestal. I love watching sports and always will. And I'm just as much to blame as anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment