Wednesday, September 10, 2014

My Thoughts on Ray Rice

Whether you are a sports fan or not, it's difficult to not follow along with everything that is happening with Ray Rice and the NFL. Quick recap: Ray Rice knocked his wife (then fiancé) out in an elevator in Atlantic City a few months ago. He was seen dragging her limp body out of the elevator. He was suspended for two games by the NFL after essentially admitting his wrong, and the NFL was highly criticized for their leniency. This week, elevator footage of Rice's haymaker was released, the NFL denied knowledge of it, and just today, it came out that NFL executives had actually seen the video.

The more I think about this, the more mixed my feelings are. I think Rice is a disgusting human being. What he did is unforgivable and I could never imagine what would bring someone to physically assault someone they supposedly love. But on the other hand, he has seemed apologetic. Every time I hear him speak he sounds deeply repentant. Do I think he should be forgiven? Absolutely not. But I think there are bigger issues that some dick head's domestic disputes.

In the words of Colin Cowherd, the NFL provides the number one tv program as well as the number one sports program, which is essentially like delta airlines being the number one airline and the number one hotel chain. The power that they wield on a national level is absurd. Which makes their cover up of this scandal all the more despicable. The fact that an organization of that magnitude had knowledge of such atrocious acts by one of their employees and didn't terminate that relationship immediately is beyond me. If someone I worked with committed a similar crime, they'd be imprisoned for a long time, let alone their job security.

Basically, my point is that all entities involved need to be held accountable for their actions. Rice belongs in prison. And the NFL requires some serious personnel restructuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment