Wednesday, September 24, 2014

My Thoughts on Derek Jeter

I know I post a lot about sports topics. Part of me feels like I should give my devoted readers some variety, but this blog is titled MY thoughts. And I think about sports a lot....

It wouldn't be write to not discuss the departure of arguably the greatest role model involved in professional sports during our this generation. The captain himself. Number 2 is playing his final few games, as we near the end of September. And what's really cool is that his last three will be here - at Fenway. I looked into tickets, but they were far out of my price range. Kind of sucks, but I'll live. Let me reiterate - I'm a die hard Red Sox fan. This year I was able to go to like 5 games at Fenway. Although the rivalry between the Sox and Yankees has dwindled in recent years, I still hate them as an organization. That being said, there are few people in the world that I re2pect as much as Derek Jeter.

Jeter has been an amazing baseball talent since I was a little kid. I remember when he lead the Yankees to 4 World Series titles in the 90s. The smile that he had after every clutch hit, the excitement he expressed after every single win. I wrote a blog last year about the beauty of  baseball. I think Jeter perfectly exemplifies this beauty. The grace by which he plays, and the class by which he conducts himself off the diamond.

It's going to make me sad watching him finish his career. I hope that in 20 years, when I have children, I hope they love baseball as much as I do. I hope they cherish the history of the sport. I hope they reflect on some of the all time greats, and ask me what it was like to watch them play. I hope that they ask me what it was like to watch Jeter so I can tell them that he was so much more than a star shortstop. He was representative of all that is right in sports; in a world where there is so much that is wrong with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment