Wednesday, October 22, 2014

My Thoughts on Ebola

Currently in the world, we are being hit with the worst medical catastrophe that has come about in my lifetime. Of course, I'm talking about Ebola. Let me be clear, I'm no medical expert. But I really think we, as Americans are drastically overestimating the danger this poses to us.

We have the most advanced medical technologies in the world. The finest international doctors come to American schools to get their degrees. There is a reason that this epidemic broke out in West Africa, and (for the most part) has been contained there. So calm down everyone. However, this brings me to my main point...

It really bothers me that everyone basically ignored this issue until it touched down in American and European soil. Sure, the news gave it a little coverage, but not nearly its due. This disease has plagued West Africa for months now. It continues to run rampant through countries such as Liberia. Furthermore, experts do not anticipate it slowing down for some time. So why are people just beginning to care?

I think it can be traced back to how selfish this country is. Americans have reacted just as you'd expect: ignorance until they realize they could be affected, and then fear that they alone would be affected. The thing I think is important is recognizing that this disease will most likely not spiral out of control in countries like the US and Spain. It's the countries where thousands of lives that have been taken that need help. It's the ones that continue to be plagued that need first-world support.

No comments:

Post a Comment