Sunday, August 10, 2014

Baseball Special: Yankee Stadium

When my dad and I first planned out this 15 year adventure, I don't think we planned on hitting Yankee Stadium so early on. But at the beginning of the season, when the captain, Derek Jeter, announced his retirement, we acknowledged the fact that we had to see him in his final season. So today, August 9th, 2014, we went to Yankee Stadium to see the Yanks take on the Indians.

Parts of the game were cool, and parts were dull. Starting with the park itself, it was a Goliath of a park. Monstrous in size and grandeur, I was amazed at the immensity of the place. That being said, it did not really promote an intimate environment. My father and I agreed, that it felt like the crowd was there to say they went to Yankee Stadium, not to watch and enjoy a baseball game on a beautiful day. My dad described the park as a place just like New York: unnecessarily loud and obnoxious.

Okay enough of the negativity, I had a blast. The game was a really good one. Corey Kluber pitched unbelievably and the Indians won 3-0. Brandon McCarthy threw a good game for NY, but it wasn't good enough. We were hoping to see a pitcher battle, and we got what we asked for.

Prior to the game, there was a pretty cool induction ceremony of Paul O'Neill into the Yankees Monument Park. It was pretty cool to see so many legends there to support him. Joe Torre, Mariano Rivera, and Jorge Posada were among them. Not that I'm a die hard O'Neill fan, but I always liked him and it was cool seeing the ceremony.

I don't think anything was cooler than seeing Jeter though. There are so few people who are above their respective sports, but he is one of them. Nobody commands respect as universally as #2. Knowing that this was probably the last time I'd ever see him play was kind of emotional. However, in his third at bat, Jeter hit an infield single. That single moved Jeter passed Honus Wagner into 6th place on the all time hits list. Being able to say that I saw that is pretty cool.

5 parks down, 25 to go. Next week we'll be in D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment