Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Baseball Special: Nationals Park

Last Saturday we made our sixth trip, as we drove south along the east coast to our nation's capital: where we watched the Nationals take on the Pirates. Let me preface this entry by discussing how the drive down was possibly the most miserable experience of my life. Getting over the GW Bridge was a nightmare and it did not improve much from there. Originally, the GPS said we'd get there in around 6 hours. It took us ten.

Nonetheless, arriving in DC was pretty cool. I'd never been so in the brief period of time prior to the game, Chris and I walked around and saw the Washington Monument before heading to the park. It was a beautiful evening so walking around the city was really pleasant.

The park itself was really cool. Very modern, with tons of family friendly activities. During one of the half innings, they hold a presidential race, where people wearing president-mascot costumes race around the perimeter of the field. Teddy Roosevelt won in a stunning comeback victory over Abe.

The food was awesome too! We both got chili and I got a sandwich and it was really good. Ice cream topped off our night later. The atmosphere was really cool too. Our seats were awesome and it was a really intimate park. A little too intimate.... This woman sitting next to me felt the need to talk to me about how small Ian Desmond's butt was. Contrary to popular belief, I really didn't care.

Finally, the game. One of the most exciting games I've ever been to live. It had great pitching, some great fielding and timely hitting. Leading 3-0 in the bottom of the 8th, the Pirates gave up a run before allowing Adam LaRoche to tie the game with a two-run blast. I did not know if it could be topped until Wilson Ramos hit a walk off single, driving in Harper, in the 9th. It was the first time I've ever seen a walk-off live.

After the game, there was a free Martina McBride concert, so my dad and I stayed for a few songs. It was a really fun experience... And the drive home was not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment