Friday, August 16, 2013

My Thoughts on Egypt

The comparison I made about the way the rest of the world is handling the crisis in Egypt is a pretty basic one: it's like if there was a fight at recess and the principal and all the teachers just stood around watching.

I definitely do not consider myself an expert on foreign policy. Or even a novice for that matter. I know nothing about political strategies, international relations, or how governments work. I have been following along this Egypt story for sometime now. I get it, the protesters weren't happy with Morsy so they booted him. Now his supporters aren't happy with a military government so they're in uproar. Again, these are issues that we kind of take for granted because we are living in a first world country, where we can't imagine this kind of thing happening. A civil war is on the cusp and everyone is ideally watching it. I just read this morning that some of the larger countries in the EU are going to hold a phone conference to discuss what future actions to take.

...So now it's like a school yard fight were the teachers and principal are all debating whether or not to get involved....

Again, I don't know much about this subject so I'm not going to rant for as long as I usually do. I think something needs to be done. I do not necessarily think the United States is solely responsible, but the UN needs to get together and figure out a course of action soon, or else we're going to be looking at extended chaos and turmoil.

No comments:

Post a Comment