Friday, August 16, 2013

My Thoughts on Alex Rodriguez

Dear Alex,

What happened? I remember being an 8 year old kid, passionate about the sport that you had become famous for, and I loved watching you play. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Sox fan, so Nomar was obviously the preferred shortstop, but you were elegant. You were artistic. You played the game beautifully and it was amazing to watch. You were younger than I am now when you came into the league. Just a kid. Just like that 8 year old kid I once was. I guess a part of me still wishes I was that naive 8 year old....

You did what everyone does: when your contract expired, you ran for the money. I didn't blame you for that. You were still possibly the most amazing ballplayer I had ever watched. You were playing for that crappy team in Texas, so I didn't care. And you went there for SO much money.. What was it, like 252 million? I'm 21 years old and I'm freaking out about finding a big boy job next year, meanwhile you've been a millionaire since you were my age. But it wasn't enough. I guess that one sentence pretty much sums it all up, nothing was ever enough.

And then Texas wasn't cutting it so you split. Went to New York. At first, I was so pissed because the Sox had been in the discussion of acquiring you and it fell through. Now you were the enemy. You were the scumbag who put on pinstripes. I no longer admired you, I thought you had become selfish. You were starting to lose touch with baseball, and with the beauty that you once played it with.

And then you admitted to my worst fear as a fan: using steroids. I know many people don't mind steroids, they think it adds an element to the game and raises the bar. My problem is that it takes away from the purity of the sport. I wouldn't be able to make comparisons to Jimmie Foxx or Ted Williams knowing the modern player had an unfair advantage. How would DiMaggio feel if somebody got a hit in 57 games because they took a pill that helped them. How did Aaron feel in 2007?

And now this Biogenesis scandal. This is the icing on the cake. You have become possibly the least likable person in baseball history. To me, you are worse than Pete Rose. Worse than Roger Clemens. Worse than the 1919 Black Sox.

I just read today that there are now allegations that you, or a member of your entourage, ratted out the rest of the guys from Biogenesis. Alex, all I want to hear is the truth. For me that has been the worst part. You've fought every allegation and denied every accusation. Everyone knows that it's true. Nobody doubts that you've cheated the game that gave you so much. There is literally one thing you can do that will ever redeem you in the eyes of the people:

And that is to be honest.

You will never be that same 20 year old kid on the diamond. Blowing bubble gum, hitting home runs, and goofing around with Junior. You will never be looked at as potentially the greatest hitter to ever play the game. I hope that 100 years from now, you still will not be in the hall of fame for how much disrespect you have shown the game. But if you were to admit to this. Admit to all of the atrocities you have committed, I could find in my heart to forgive you.

But I will never forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment