Saturday, June 29, 2013

My Thoughts on Finding a Career

One of the scariest facts that I've been coming to terms with lately is the idea that I'm growing up. I feel like two weeks ago I was learning to read and to ride a bike. I swear just last week I was graduating high school. Now I'm preparing to enter my senior year of college and I'm struggling to figure out the age old question: what next?

Nobody ever REALLY knows that they want to be when they grow up until they're already there. Maybe you spent your entire life wanting to be a doctor and then you fail your freshman bio class. Maybe you want to be a competitive bowler and then you figure out that they're not allowed to use bumpers. My point is, it's not an easy thing to assess.

I got my first job when I was 16. Bagging groceries and pushing carts at stop and shop. It's weird to think about where I'm (hopefully) going to be in 10 years and reflect on how I got there. Even weirder is trying to figure out if my job in 10 years is actually my career. Regardless, it's a process I'm anxious for.

I've always been fairly strong in mathematics, and as soon as I tell people that they kind of look at me with an expression that screams: lotta good that'll do ya. Thanks guys, just the encouragement I needed. Truth is, I don't know what to do anymore than they do. What if I go into accounting and discover its too boring for me? What if I pursue investment banking and realize I don't have any time to spend with Emily? What if I don't figure out what I want in time and end up homeless? Obviously this last case is not likely, but who knows?

Every single person, over the course of their lives has struggled with identifying what their future holds. If you haven't, I commend you. I'm truly envious of your drive and confidence.

For me it's not that simple. I don't know what I want, where I want to live or how I'm going to get there. But that's part of the fun. That's the adventure that we call life, and all of us have to embark on that journey at some point following our youth.

So if you're like me and silently freaking out about paying bills and having real responsibilities, then don't worry. You're not alone. But if anyone knows a potential employer who's looking for a math and Econ major, send them my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment